Biology majors at Elizabethtown College get practical, real-world experience with all things biology in a variety of ways: summer research, on and off campus internships, employment and volunteer opportunities. Here are some recent examples of summer internships and research:
- Michael Torre, '10 - Research with Dr. Bowne investigating which stream properties have the greatest impact on amphibian abundance.
- Stephen Hurst, '10 - Research with Dr. Yorty. Worked on CD8+ T cells to better recognize tumors fomred by T-antigen by changing T-antigen to a more idea form. Also evaluated the effect of corticosterone on the immune response to tumors.
- Suren Rajakaruna, '09 - Research with Dr. Cavender investigating the relationship between the viral oncoprotein SV40 T antigen and nucleolar host protein nucleophosmin (B23).
- Stacey Lehman, '09 - Research with Dr. Cavender on the activation of the cell cyle and the ribosomal gene promoter.
- Margaret Kench, '10 - Research with Dr. Cavender to determine if micro or siRNAs are produced from several commercially available plasmids/cloning vectors that directly impact the expression of the RNA Polymerase I but not RNA Polymerase II promoter.
- Derek Faust, '10 - worked with Rettew Associates. Work included wetland delineations, stream assessments, macroinvertebrate sampling, stream walks, geological watershed assessments and achaeological surveys.
- Randall Derstine, '10 - Conducted research under the supervision of a pharmacologist at the United States Army Medical Research Institute of Infectious Disease.
- Michael Nelson, '10 - did research with Dr. Peter A. Anderson's lab at the Whitney Lab for Marine Bioscience associated with the University of Florida.
- Lindsey Evans, '10 - studied drug addictions and withdrawal in Dr. Sue Grigson's lab at Penn State Hershey Medical Center.
- Jennifer Schoonmaker, '10 - Internship at the Bald Head Island Conservancy (BHIC) in Bald Head Island, North Carolina.
- John Fuesler, '11 - Internship with Delaware Museum of Natural History working in the avian curatoril and research department.
- Erin Reynolds, '10 - Patient Care Assistant at Harrisburg Hospital in the Cardiac Telemetry Unit.
- Taylor Jones, '10 - worked for the United States Department of Agriculture, Agricultural Research Service, Beltsville Area Research Center in a molecular plant pathology laboratory.
- Michael Hester, '10 - Internship with Pinnacle Health Tobacco Cessation Program
Study Abroad – School for Field Studies
Make a rain forest or desert your classroom for a summer. Many of our biology students take part in study abroad programs through The School for Field Studies. The School for Field studies offers semester and summer programs that take students to places like Costa Rica, Kenya, Turkey, Mexico and Australia.