- Circulation Desk (717) 361-1222
- Reference Desk (717) 361-1461
- Interlibrary Loan (717) 361-1451
- Director's Office (717) 361-1451
- Fax (717) 361-1167
In order to provide a comfortable and accommodating study space for our community means, the consumption of food and drink are permitted within the High Library library.
To maintain the cleanliness of our spaces and the preservation of our collections and materials, users are expected to abide by the following guidelines:
- All trash must be disposed of properly in wastebaskets and recycling bins.
- Any food waste must be disposed of outside the library. This will help keep the library free of insects, rodents, and other unwanted pests.
- Spills must be cleaned up promptly. If additional assistance is needed, contact the library staff.
- Unattended food or beverages may be disposed of by library staff.
- Remember that others are working around you; avoid bringing strong-smelling foods into the library.
- Food may not be consumed while using library-owned technology, such as laptops, desktops, iPads, et cetera.
- Food and beverages are not permitted in the McCormick Lab or in the Archives.
We appreciate your compliance with these guidelines. If you have any questions, please contact a member of the library staff.
The High Library has designated 5 group study rooms located on the 3rd floor.
- These rooms can be reserved for up to 3 hours at a time.
- Reservations can be made up to 3 weeks in advance.
- There is a 15-minute grace period on reservations. If a group has not arrived within 15 minutes of the reservation start time, the reservation is considered cancelled and the room may be occupied by another group.
- Rooms may be reserved using the online booking software only. Do not leave personal items in the room in an attempt to hold the space.
- The library is not responsible for any personal items left unattended.
- If a room is not reserved, groups are welcome to use it on a drop-in basis.
- Groups are asked to vacate the room promptly at the end of their reservation.
Priority for these rooms is given to student groups of two or more. There are additional study rooms in the library available on a first come, first served basis. Additionally, the library’s first floor is a “quiet floor,” providing a quiet study space for those not working on group projects.Reserve a Study Room
Who can borrow?
- Elizabethtown College faculty and staff
- Currently registered E-town students
- Books not owned by High Library.
- Books that are owned by High Library but are missing, at the bindery, or checked out.
- Periodical articles that are not available in print, microfilm, or electronically at High Library.
- Sound recordings, scores, videos, DVDs, and books on tape/CD.
- Log into ILLiad to place a request
- Look for links in the library databases to request items via ILL.
- Questions? Contact a librarian: email@example.com.
Students, faculty and staff of Elizabethtown College can request copies of periodical articles that are available in the library on microfilm or microfiche.
Request copies by logging in to ILLiad, clicking on Request an Article, and filling out the request form.
Requesters will receive an email notifying them when articles are available on ILLiad for download.
The High Library makes available a variety of technologies to the Elizabethtown College community.
- These technologies may only be checked out to active Elizabethtown College students, staff and faculty with a valid College ID.
- Borrowed technologies must not be left unattended.
- Food and drink are not permitted near borrowed technologies.
- All borrowed technologies must be returned directly to the Circulation desk.
- Laptops circulate for 3 hours. A power cord will be checked out with the computer.
- Overdue laptops and power cords each accrue fines of $2.50/hour.
- Laptops must be used within the library only, and must be returned 15 minutes prior to library closing.
- iPads and Swivls circulate for 3 days and may leave the library during the checkout period.
- Overdue iPads and Swivls will accrue fines of $10.00 per day.
The High Library is a member of the Associated College Libraries of Central Pennsylvania (ACLCP) library consortium. Any faculty, student or staff from one of these associated colleges may request a free High Library card for the length of the current semester in which they are actively enrolled. They must present a valid ID card for the ACLCP College in which they are enrolled to obtain a library card.
ACLCP patrons may borrow up to 8 items at a time. Books from our general and juvenile collections, CDs, records, and musical scores can be borrowed for up to 60 days. DVDs can be borrowed for up to 2 weeks. These items may not be renewed.
The ACLCP borrowing card does not include access to library databases or other online resources, use of interlibrary loan service, or borrowing privileges for the library’s bestseller or reserves collections.
Students enrolled in graduate level courses at the Susquehanna Valley Ministry Center may request a free High Library card for the length of the current semester. Seminary students must present a valid ID to obtain a library card.
Seminary Students may borrow up to 8 items at a time. Books from our general and juvenile collections, CDs, records, and musical scores can be borrowed for up to 60 days. DVDs can be borrowed for up to 2 weeks. These items may not be renewed.
The Seminary borrowing card does not include access to library databases or other online resources, use of interlibrary loan service, or borrowing privileges for the library’s bestseller or reserves collection.
Friends of the Library
Elizabethtown community members may become Friends of the Library. For a charge of $20, you may purchase a 12-month library card. You must show a valid photo ID to obtain a library card.
Friends of the Library may borrow up to 8 items at a time. Books from our general and juvenile collections, CDs, records, and musical scores can be borrowed for up to 60 days. DVDs can be borrowed for up to 2 weeks. These items may not be renewed.
Friends of the Library do not have access to library databases or other online resources, use of the interlibrary loan service, or borrowing privileges for the library’s bestseller or reserves collection.
The High Library offers guest log-ins for in-library access to our databases and other online resources.
- To obtain a log-in, guests must present a valid photo ID.
- Assigned log-ins are good for 30-days, and can be used on designated computer terminals only.
|Books - General Collection||60 days||60 days||Indefinite|
|Books - Bestseller Collection*||60 days||60 days||60 days|
|DVDs||2 weeks||2 weeks||2 weeks|
|Reserves||Varies by Item||Varies by Item||Varies by Item|
|Laptops & Power Cords||3 hours in library use only||---------||---------|
|iPads & Swivl||3 days||---------||---------|
|Journals||In library use only||In library use only||In library use only|
|Reference Collection||In library use only||In library use only||In library use only|
|Need something longer? Most items can be renewed up to 5 times online - renew items.
It is the library user’s responsibility to keep track of all due dates/times of borrowed materials. Any items returned after the due date or time may be subject to overdue fines. Please see our Overdue Fine Policy for further details.
*Please note that items from the Bestseller Collection may not be renewed.
The High Library is pleased to offer lockers for the convenience of our users. Lockers are available on a first-come, first-served basis for the students, faculty, and staff of Elizabethtown College.
By using a locker, you agree to the following:
- The library is not responsible for loss, theft, or damage of items stored in lockers.
- Only library materials that have been checked out to the user may be stored in lockers.
- Food and beverage may not be stored in lockers.
- The library staff reserves the right to review the contents of lockers at any time.
- All lockers must be emptied at the end of the semester.
- Any items left in lockers beyond the end of the semester will be turned over to the campus lost and found.
|Item/Collection||Overdue Fines||Grace Period|
|Laptops & Power Cords||$2.50/hour||15 minutes|
|iPads & Swivl||10.00/day||---------|
In accordance with Elizabethtown College policy, only registered service animals are permitted in the library.
For more information on the definition of service animals, please see the college's Service and Emotional Support Animal Guidelines.
Anyone in violation of this policy will be asked to leave the library.
Most items borrowed from the High Library can be renewed for an additional loan period – including reserves and laptops! You can renew your items in person at the Circulation desk, or online.
To renew online:
- Select the “My Account” link in the library catalog.
Log-in with your Etown network username and password.
- From the list of titles, check off the items to renew. Or, to renew all of your loans, select the “Renew all” radio button at the top of the title list.
- Select “Renew Selected Items”
- A confirmation screen will display the new due dates for your borrowed items.
- Renewals provide an additional loan period for an item from the date or time it was renewed, rather than from the original due date/time.
- When renewing online, your items have not been renewed if you don’t see the confirmation screen displaying the new dates.
- Items that have reached their renewal limit must be returned to the library’s Circulation Desk.
- As a library user, it is your responsibility to keep track of the due dates/times of your borrowed library items. Any items returned or renewed after the due date/time will be subject to overdue fines.
The library employs student workers to assist with circulation, interlibrary loan and technical services functions. Duties may include including shelving books, checking library materials in and out, assisting library users at the circulation desk, interlibrary loan or technical service duties.
Check the Student Employment Current Job Openings to see available positions.
Assistant to the Director of the Library
Instruction and Outreach Librarian
Rachel Grove Rohrbaugh
Systems & Cataloging Librarian
Access Services Librarian