#BeBlue @EtownCollege 4/10/14
When you pledge to #BeBlue, you’re making a statement that helps bring others into the interfaith movement. It’s a way to kick start a national conversation about the value of religious pluralism and working together despite our differences. We think that matters now more than ever.
On Thursday, April 10, our campus along with a number of other college and university campuses across the nation will celebrate Interfaith Youth Core’s Annual Better Together Day.
On Wednesday, April 9 from 2:00-5:00 p.m. in the Center for Student Involvement Lounge, the REL 105 Exploring Religion and Religions class and other Better Together student leaders will be giving away free Better Together T-Shirts and Bracelets and Cupcakes with blue icing to students, faculty, and staff to wear on IFYC Better Together Day, Thursday, April 10. Please wear the T-shirts and bracelets, not the cupcakes!
On Thursday, April 10, from Noon-5:00 p.m. in the Center for Student Involvement Lounge, we will have an IFYC Better Together table with information, such as the fact that nearly 1 in 5 hate crimes in America is religiously-based (see link to FBI report below). There also will be a display of positive religious and non-religious voices made by the REL 105 class.
Why does it matter?
Based on the most recent Hate Crime Report released by the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI), 19% of hate crimes occurring in America resulted from religious bias.
- In 2012, the FBI reported that 1,340 individuals were victims of an anti-religious hate crime. However, it was not until 2013 that the FBI announced that it would track religious hate crimes against Sikhs, Hindus, Arabs, Buddhists, Mormons Jehovah’s Witnesses, and Orthodox Christians for the first time in U.S history.
- According to a study by the Pew Research Center, the number of social hostilities globally involving religion hit a six year peak in 2012.
What can you do?
- Pledge. The most important thing you can do is sign the Better Together Day pledge and encourage others to #BeBlue. The next 100 individuals to sign the pledge will receive a free IFYC t-shirt.
- #BeBlue. Wear blue on April 10th to show your support for the movement.
- Share. Make sure you spread the message about the pledge and interfaith cooperation on social media. #BeBlue @EtownCollege