Keeping campus connected.
Campus News, a weekly email newsletter, informs the campus community of important news, events and safety concerns and furthers the goals of the College, its departments and its organizations.
Campus News is compiled and distributed, by email, to members of the Elizabethtown College campus community by the Office of Marketing and Communications (OMC). Anyone with a functioning Elizabethtown College email address will receive Campus News.
Campus News is distributed Mondays. During scheduled breaks or holidays, Campus News might be distributed less frequently.
All announcements featured in Campus News must be sponsored by a College department or an approved campus or affiliated organization. To be considered for inclusion, announcements must be submitted by a representative of the organization, on the Campus News FORM, by noon Friday (no exceptions) to be published in the following week's Campus News. All announcements will be limited to two issues of Campus News and will be run AS SUBMITTED. Errors are the responsibility of the person submitting the announcement. Corrections will not be issued.
Campus News Announcement Guidelines
Elizabethtown College's Senior Staff has approved the following policy regarding the content of Campus News. OMC has been charged with administering the policy.
OMC may edit announcements for clarity and consistency of format and style. In editing announcements, OMC aims to ensure that specifics of the announcement and intention are consistent with the announcement submitted by the organization. Announcements that include racially or sexually disparaging remarks, references to alcohol specials or offensive language will not be allowed.
- Announcements of a political nature will not be included in Campus News, unless they are submitted by an approved political Student Group. In these instances, the announcements should be positive and constructive; OMC will deny all submissions that disparage another political party or candidate.
- Announcements that require additional clarification might be held until OMC has obtained additional details from the sponsoring organization.
- If an organization errs in its submission, a correction will be issued in the following week's Campus News. If the error is the fault of the OMC staff, a correction will be issued as soon as the department is aware of the mistake.
- All Campus News announcements about paid job openings must be issued through Student Employment (firstname.lastname@example.org). The request for the position will be reviewed, posted on the student employment website, and a brief announcement will be submitted for distribution in Campus News.
Announcements must be sponsored by an on-campus academic or administrative department or an approved campus or affiliated organization. All others will be denied. All announcements must include the name, full telephone number and/or College email address of a representative of the organization.
Only announcements from approved Student Groups will be included in Campus News. To be approved, a Student Group must register with the Office of Student Activities. If OMC receives a Campus News submission from an unapproved Student Group, the organization will be referred to the director of the Office of Student Activities for assistance.
Exceptions to the on-campus policy are made for:
- The Borough of Elizabethtown, for announcements not limited to community events, parking updates, construction, etc. These announcements must be reviewed and approved by Caroline Lalvani, the College's director of Public Affairs—or, in that individual's absence, the executive director of Marketing and Communications—prior to inclusion.
- Announcements regarding the involvement of Elizabethtown students, faculty or staff with off-campus organizations. The focus of the announcement must be on the campus community members and not on the particular business/organization holding the event.
- Off-campus ministries, whose staff is not employed by the College must submit its announcements through the Office of the Chaplain.
To keep Campus News to a manageable length, announcements will be published no more than twice.
Abuse of the Campus News policy and/or online form might result in the loss of Campus News privileges for a period of one year.
Classified Advertising Policy Overview
Listings can include: lost and found and larger items such as vacation rentals, electronics, vehicles and furniture. On-campus paid job postings must be submitted through Payroll.
Classified Advertising is provided as a service to Elizabethtown College faculty, staff and students. All postings must be submitted on the Campus News FORM by noon Friday.
The same Classified Advertising announcement will be published no more than twice.
Classified Ad Listing Guidelines
OMC reserves the right to edit announcements for clarity and consistency of format and style. In editing announcements, OMC aims to ensure that specifics of the announcement and intention are consistent with the announcement submitted by the community member.
No announcements that include racially or sexually disparaging remarks, references to alcohol specials or offensive language will be included in the Classified Ad Listing.
Announcements regarding home sales and rentals will not be accepted.
Classified ads seeking roommates for off-campus apartments during the academic year will be declined, as students must be approved for off-campus housing, and posting such requests might lead to confusion. Requests for apartment roommates for the summer may be posted.
All opportunities for off-campus student employment will be referred to Career Services.
Headline News Policy Overview
Headline News is not to be used in place of the weekly Campus News. Headline News must be submitted by department chairs, must be approved by a member of Senior Staff or have special permission through the Office of Marketing and Communications.