Admission Requirements - Undergraduate
The accelerated adult degree program through Elizabethtown College's School of Continuing and Professional Studies offers a rigorous academic setting and provides students with the tools to help them advance in their profession and to achieve their academic goals.
To enter either an associate or bachelor's program, you will need to:
- have a minimum of three years of full-time work experience.
- have graduated from high school or earned a GED.
- have writing ability sufficient for success in an accelerated academic program. Writing is an essential component of this program. You will be asked to write an essay that demonstrates your ability to write clearly, use proper grammar and organize your writing into correct compositional expression.
- have the time to devote to your coursework. Course requirements in a five-week accelerated class can be as high as 20 hours per week.
- Successful completion of some college coursework is strongly suggested prior to entering an accelerated program, but not required.
How to Apply
to the Program
Step 1 - Meet with an admissions counselor:
Meeting with an admissions counselor in person, by phone or virutally is required for entry into the accelerated adult degree program. At the meeting your admissions counselor will explain the program, class formats, financial aid process and answer your questions. If you have credits to transfer to Elizabethtown from another institution, a preliminary evaluation of credits can also be completed. To schedule a time, contact the admissions counselor at your preferred campus or call our main office at 717-361-1411.
Step 2 - Complete the online application:
The online application asks you to provide contact information, prior education and work experience, and to select the specific degree program you intend to pursue. There is no application fee to apply to the undergraduate adult accelerated degree program.
Step 3 - Request Official transcripts for all previous college work:
Official transcripts must be sent directly from the school(s) to the appropriate SCPS admissions counselor. If you have not attended college previously, please request your high school transcript instead.
Step 4 - Submit your current resume:
- Your resume should be in proper business form.
- Email (as an attachment) to your admissions counselor, preferably in Microsoft Word or PDF. Do not paste into the body of an email.
Step 5 - Submit an essay:
Write and submit, via email to your admissions counselor, a two to three page essay. The accelerated program at Elizabethtown College places a strong emphasis on communication skills, particularly writing. We will evaluate your submissions with this in mind.
- Your essay should be double-spaced and should follow accepted English usage standards, including sentence and paragraph structure, appropriate punctuation and correct spelling. Please be sure to proofread thoroughly!
- The essay should address:
- your understanding of a rigorous accelerated program
- how you envision incorporating into your life the time necessary to meet the program's demands
- your own story; tell us about yourself, including your professional and academic goals
- Email your essay as an attachment to your admissions counselor, preferably in Microsoft Word or PDF. Do not paste into the body of an email.
After reviewing your application materials, the SCPS Management Team will make an admissions decision. You will be notified of the decision via email. If we have any questions or concerns regarding your admissions materials, we will be in touch with you. Thank you for considering Elizabethtown College for your degree completion. We look forward to partnering with you to achieve your educational goals.