Interested in working as a writing tutor?
Here are the requirements for applying for a position as a tutor in The Writing Wing. An applicant must:
- Be an Elizabethtown College student.
- Present a recommendation from an Elizabethtown faculty member familiar with the applicant's writing ability (or a recommendation from an English teacher who taught the applicant in high school).
- Possess excellent oral, written, and interpersonal communication skills.
- Provide 3 samples of his or her prose (any kind – published or unpublished personal work, or schoolwork).
- Commit to being available to tutor each semester (time worked will vary depending on students' needs and availability), for scheduled tutoring sessions and for helping to staff the Writing Wing during walk-in appointment hours.
- Be well versed in standard written English style and usage, and be familiar with the style of the Modern Language Association (MLA) and the American Psychological Association APA – we train tutors we hire to use MLA and APA style, but being familiar with these styles before possibly working as a tutor in The Writing Wing is a plus).
- Be available for tutor training during the school year.
- Be available for an interview.