Master of Music Education
Master of Music Education (M.M.E.)
Elizabethtown College is excited to offer the nation’s first Master of Music Education (M.M.E.) degree focused on the study of peacebuilding. This program is designed for certified, in-service teachers and blends online learning with one week per-summer of face-to-face interaction. During the three-year program, candidates build the skills, knowledge and reflective space to teach music through the lens of peacebuilding.
Offered through partnership with the College's Music Department, The program draws upon each candidate's passion for diverse perspectives, community building, and relationship-centered teaching, culminating in a capstone project challenging candidates to implement musical peacebuilding into teaching practice.
Leveraging the successful World Music Drumming® curriculum as a site of practice, candidates explore diverse perspectives of music making and inclusive, empowering, and community-centered pedagogies.
Credits Required: 34
Cost Per Credit: $610
Now accepting applications for Summer 2020.
Other SCPS Offerings in Education:
Elizabethtown College is an accredited institutional member of the National Association of Schools of Music.
Student Learning Outcomes
- Implement world music drumming curricula with eclectic and inclusive approaches to music education (including Dalcroze, Orff, and Kodály)
- Develop, articulate, and practice philosophies and applied pedagogies rooted in peacebuilding
- Construct curricular materials and pedagogies that engage student learning in diverse musical traditions, critical issues in ethnomusicology, and the study of self and other
- Develop classroom environment plans and skill sets that build social-emotional capacity, possibilities for conflict transformation, and the practice of peacebuilding
- Explore, practice and develop plans and pedagogy that integrate key principles of curriculum and assessment
Master of Music Education
- Diverse Cultures and Musics
- Social-Emotional Learning
- World Music Drumming®
ENHANCE YOUR PRACTICE
- Emphasis on classroom application at every level
- Coursework that develops projects and research in
- Online and hybrid delivery
- Synchronous and asynchronous opportunities
- No cohort constraints
- Accelerated semesters
- Rolling admission
- $610 per-credit
- No hidden fees
- Culminating project challenging you to implement musical peacebuilding in your teaching practice
- International experts in peacebuilding and world music pedagogy
- Expert public school music teachers to support the development
of your pedagogy
Dr. Kevin Shorner-Johnson
Dr. Kevin Shorner-Johnson is director of music education at Elizabethtown College. His scholarship focuses on the intersection of peacebuilding and music education. As a teacher, he has applied his interests in ethics, spirituality, and peacebuilding to approach music coursework in ways that are rooted within an Anabaptist heritage of peacebuilding, intentional community, and ethical discernment. Dr. Shorner-Johnson's most recent scholarship will be highlighted in an international book that approaches and critiques the United Nation’s temporal constructions in education policy. His on-the-ground peacebuilding work focuses on building capacity and community within Central Pennsylvania Latina/o communities and using the arts to affirm and embrace the fullness of Puerto Rican identity.
View Dr. Shorner-Johnson's blog, podcasts and more at: https://www.musicpeacebuilding.com/
Our experienced Admissions staff is here to help. Fill out a brief contact form and one of our counselors will reach out to guide you on your way.