Advising FAQs

Intended for majors and minors in Accounting (AC), Business Administration (BA), Economics (EC) and International Business (IB).

Course Requirements

Q. Where do I get info on the requirements for a major or minor?

Q. Where do I get info on electives for concentrations?

Q. I am a BA major. How many electives do I need for a concentration?

Q. I am a BA minor. What courses do I need for the minor?

  • AC101 Introduction to Accounting
  • EC101 Principles of Macroeconomics
  • BA265 Management and Organization Behavior
  • BA330 Legal Environment of Business
  • Two electives: AC/BA/EC 2xx or higher.
    Note: BA101 and BA105 will NOT count as electives for the minor.

Q. I am an EC minor. What courses do I need for the minor?

  • EC101 Principles of Macroeconomics
  • EC102 Principles of Microeconomics
  • EC301 Intermediate Microeconomics
  • EC302 Intermediate Macroeconomics
  • One additional Economics elective.

Q. How many courses do I require for a double concentration in the BA or IB major?

  • Six. You may NOT double-count courses in the concentrations. Thus, you must take 6 different courses to satisfy two concentrations in the BA or IB major.

Q. I am a BA major. Do I need BA101?

  • If you joined as a freshman: Yes
  • If you are a transfer student: No

Q. I am a BA major. Do I need Calculus (MA121 Calculus I)?

  • No, but calculus is strongly recommended, esp. for those with an interest in graduate school.

Q. I am an AC major. Can I count a 4-credit internship in accounting as the accounting elective for the major?

  • Yes.

Q. When should I take AC270?

  • If you are an AC major: In your junior year, or second semester of your sophomore year
  • If you are a BA major: In your junior year
  • If you are an IB major: In your sophomore year, second semester


Course Substitutions and Waivers

Q. I wish to request a course waiver. I wish to request a course substitution. What should I do?

Q. I wish to take Course A next semester. But Course A requires a prerequisite Course B that I am taking this semester (or will be taking in the summer). Can I register for Course A this semester?

  • Yes--subject to the condition that you will successfully complete Course B before the beginning of the next semester. Submit a Student Petition online to the department seeking temporary waiver of the prerequisite.


Double Major or Minor

Please refer to this matrix to determine if you can double major or minor in related disciplines.


Pre-enroll in EC101/EC102

Q. Both EC101 and EC102 will satisfy the Social Science Core. As a business student, how do I pre-enroll in EC101 or EC102?

  • By submitting a pre-enrollment form via JayWeb. Instructions.


College Core and SLEs

Q. Can I double-count courses in business and the College Core?

  • Yes. For example, each of EC101 Principles of Macroeconomics and EC102 Principles of Microeconomics satisfies a requirement for the BA major and the Social Science Core. MA251 Probability and Statistics satisfies a requirement for the BA major and the Math Core.

Q. How many Signature Learning Experiences do I have to complete?

Q. Do I need to take a Guided Writing & Research (GWR) course?

  • Yes. You are required to take at least one GWR course in any Core Area of Understanding (AU) other than Power of Language - English.
  • Example: EN281 Writing and Analyzing the Short Story fulfills both the Creative Expression Core and GWR requirements.

Q. What courses do I need to satisfy the Power of Language AU?

  • A writing-based English Department course (normally EN100), and
  • One other course in Modern or Ancient Languages.



Q. Where do I get info on internships and job openings?

  • Go to Internships & Jobs. Here you will see leads on finding internships and info on course work. After you have secured an internship, fill out a learning contract. Then:
  • Visit the college's Career Services.


Study abroad

Q. I wish to go abroad. Where do I start?


Independent Study / Directed Study / Tutorial

Q. What's the difference between these?

  • Independent Study: The student proposes the content of the course, but faculty sponsor, dept. chair, and IS Committee are responsible for ensuring quality of the project. Course does NOT appear in the college catalog. No additional tuition unless it is an overload. FORM.
  • Directed Study: The course already appears in the college catalog but it is not offered when a student needs it. Additional tuition fee per credit.
  • Tutorial: Faculty agrees to provide instruction for a course that is not offered in the catalog. The Tutorial form is the same as the Directed Study form. Additional tuition fee per credit.


Transferring courses for credit

 (Note: This section does NOT refer to courses taken during study abroad.)

Q. Will courses taken through LSU's Distance Learning program transfer to Etown?

  • NO. The College policy states: "No online independent study or correspondence courses that are of dubious quality can be transferred, e.g. LSU’s Independent & Distance Learning program."

Q. What are acceptable transfer courses?

  • Acceptable transfer courses must:
    • Be from accredited institutions;
    • Be judged by the Registrar and the appropriate department 
      (in the case of courses for a major/minor) to be high quality;
    • Involve active delivery methods (ongoing exchange of ideas with an instructor; and
    • Be consistent with the mission and program goals of Elizabethtown College.

Q. How do I make sure that courses taken at another college (including online courses) will transfer for credit to Etown?

Q. Will a business course taken elsewhere count toward my major or minor in AC/BA/EC/IB?

  • For 100- and 200-level courses: Generally, these may be transferred from almost all other colleges AND will count toward the business degree at Etown.
  • For 300- and 400-level courses: Generally, these have to be taken at schools with accredited business programs (ACBSP or AACSB accreditation) for them to count toward the business degree at Etown.
  • For more info, check with Registration & Records.

Q. Can I transfer credits from a 2-year college?

  • Yes, if you have NOT yet attained junior status (Junior status = 60 credits from Etown and other colleges.)
  • No, if you have attained junior status.

Q. How many business courses can I transfer for a major in AC/BA/EC/IB?

[Note: This does not apply to transfer students. See College policy on transfer students.] 

The Department policy is that you transfer no more than 3 courses, subject to these conditions:

  • No more than two 100- or 200-level courses
  • No more than one 300- or 400-level course
  • No more than one course to count as a requirement for a concentration in BA or IB.

Q. How many business courses can I transfer for a minor in BA or EC?

[Note: This does not apply to transfer students. See College policy on transfer students.]

  • No more than one course.


Changing Concentrations and Majors

Q. I wish to declare a concentration in my major. I wish to change concentrations. I wish to change my major. I wish to change my minor. What should I do?

Q. If I change my major within the department, or if I change my BA or IB concentration, will I get a different advisor?

  • No. You will work with the same business faculty advisor.


Graduation Requirements

Q. What is the minimum GPA required to graduate?

  • Cumulative GPA should be at least 2.0.
  • GPA in the major should be at least 2.0.
  • GPA in the minor (if any) should be at least 2.0.

Q. How many credits do I need to graduate? How many should be taken on-campus?

  • TOTAL: To receive a BS in accounting, business administration or international business, or a BA in economics: A minimum of 125 credits. [Note: MA 011 is not counted toward these credits.]

  • ON-CAMPUS: (a) Minimum of 15 credits in the major, at least 8 of which are at 300- or 400-level; and (b) At least 30 of the last 60 credits.