Cross-Cultural Experiences- Goal $3 Million
Elizabethtown College is committed to fostering global understanding and exploration by encouraging our students to study abroad and embrace global perspectives. We have students from across the globe, and offer a variety of programming with an international focus. These transformational experiences help our students to expand their global awareness, gain new insights about their home country, and develop skills that increase their employability after college. Nationally, just 10% of all college graduates study abroad or have extensive international experiences, making this experience more than just a journey of personal enrichment; it’s a lifetime competitive advantage.
The expenses associated with living and studying abroad are beyond the financial reach for many of our students, especially given that 40% are first-generation students. And though institutional aid can help alleviate the financial burden of living in a foreign country, it is not enough. Increasing financial support means that our students can explore, and give back to, the world. Our goal is to ensure that every student may have the opportunity for a life-changing cross cultural experience.
Caitlin Wilson '16
Biology, Turks & Caicos
As part of my study abroad program we were able to interact with the community, learn about their lives, as well as participate in field research intended to prepare us for future careers in environmental science. My semester in the Turks and Caicos helped me to grow and understand who I am and what I wanted to do in the future. I am now looking at graduate programs that will give me more opportunities to travel and learn about different cultures and environments.
Bringing the world to E-town
Paige Preston '16
Ireland and Prague
I lived with Irish students, met their families and stayed with them. I experienced Irish birthday gatherings and didn’t say 'no' to anything. I think that is the best advice I can give: Don’t say no. For the fullest experience, you have to be open and put yourself out there. I was glad for the opportunity. It made me grateful for my Elizabethtown experience.
- $1,500,000 to name the Center for Global Understanding and Peacemaking and endow for the Center’s director position overseeing programs in Asian, International, and Peace and Conflict studies
- $500,000 to endow the new Global Scholars cross cultural program preparing students as effective leaders in the areas of conflict resolution, international cooperation, and peacemaking
- $250,000 to endow the international non-governmental organization (NGO) program, supporting student internships in their summer work with an oversees NGO
- $125,000 to endow $5,000 each year to sponsor a student to study abroad, or assist an international student from a country in crisis to attend E-town College
- $75,000 to endow $3,000 per year to support a student participating in programs designed to support global understanding
- $50,000 to endow $2,000 each year to support student travel and internships focused on international education and peacemaking
- $25,000 to endow $1,000 each year to expand campus programs in the areas of global understanding, peacemaking, and cross-cultural exploration
Give Now to the Annual Fund.
Your gift to the Annual Fund ensures that we're funding the areas of greatest need for our students. Provide for the future of Elizabethtown College. Thank you!
Want to make an Inspired Gift?
Interested in making a gift to a specific priority? Contact us to learn more about giving and naming opportunities within the Elizabethtown College campaign.