Getting to know us.
Founded 120 years ago with the motto to “Educate for Service,” Elizabethtown College has held true to its values and commitment to peace, non-violence, social justice and human dignity. A liberal arts college with select professional and master’s programs, located in Lancaster County, Pennsylvania, Elizabethtown College has continually centered its mission and excellent academic programs on the holistic development of students while preparing them for lives of leadership and service as citizens of the world. The college sustains an enrollment of approximately 1,700 students, with another approximately 700 undergraduate and graduate students in the School for Continuing and Professional Studies, on a beautiful 204-acre campus, with 129 full-time faculty members, and a diverse array of programs founded on the liberal arts tradition.
- Ranked 14th in Pennsylvania and 117th nationally in U.S. News & World Report’s “Best Liberal Arts Colleges”
- Named to Higher Education Community Service Honor Roll
- Member of the Leadership Consortium for the Association of American Colleges and Universities national initiative “Core Commitments: Educating Students for Personal and Social Responsibility”
- Ranked among the top 25% nationwide by the Brookings Institution ranks for graduates’ mid-career earnings
- Ranked 42nd in the nation for producing Fulbright Scholars.
- #1 producer of Finnegan Fellows in Pennsylvania
- Elizabethtown College is #23 among U.S. private colleges for GRADUATING Pell-eligible students according to the New York Times.
- Elizabethtown is home to the ONLY Interfaith Leadership Studies program in the country.
- Elizabethtown is home to the largest solar energy array at any PA college or university, which supplies more than 20 percent of the college’s annual electricity needs.
Currently, almost 1,700 full-time students are enrolled at the College. These men and women come from more than half of the states in this country and 20 other nations. In addition, about 750 adult learners also are pursuing a degree through Elizabethtown College School of Continuing and Professional Studies at the Edward R. Murphy Center.
The strength and quality of engagement between faculty and students are manifested in the College’s high persistence, graduation, and student satisfaction rates.
Elizabethtown has 129 faculty members. Links to faculty bios can be found by department.
- 72% of faculty members are tenured
- 26% are professors
- 46% are associate professors
- 17% are assistant professors
- 11% are lecturers or visiting professors
- 99% of our graduating seniors have at least one faculty member who made them excited about learning, compared to 63% nationally.
Where students take flight
At Elizabethtown College, learning takes place inside and outside the classroom. Students connect with and learn from faculty members and fellow students from all walks of life and cultures, domestic and international. Our College and members of our campus community thrive in this inclusive environment – one that examines, recognizes and affirms the human dignity of everyone on our campus, regardless of race, ethnicity, sexual orientation, socioeconomic status, religion, ability, gender, gender identity and expression, age, or national origin.
In seeking to “educate for service,” Elizabethtown College believes that students can perform no greater service than to share knowledge and creativity with others. Opportunities to strengthen scholarship and leadership extend beyond the classroom, and students learn actively through practical experiences and civic engagement.
Our students are guaranteed to participate in 2 of 5 real-world learning experiences. Signature Learning Experiences are real-world educational opportunities that challenge them to think beyond the books, go behind the scenes and travel across borders. We call them “signature” experiences because they are as different as each of our students and are what make the Elizabethtown experience unique.
The sweetness of Hershey, the culture of Lancaster & the energy of Harrisburg
A hub for industry clusters – from its original roots in agriculture and food, to the modern technology of pharmaceuticals, to the creative and highly innovative field of live event production – the region is home to a diverse and skilled set of companies, educational institutions, and employees who are impacting the globe. Elizabethtown is a short drive from Hershey, Harrisburg (the capital of PA), the city of Lancaster and PA Dutch Country. An Amtrak station in town places Elizabethtown a quick train ride from the major urban centers of Philadelphia, Washington D.C., Baltimore or New York City.More about Hershey, Lancaster & Harrisburg