High Impact Practices in Online Learning
High Impact Practices in Online Learning
The world has experienced an unprecedented shift to remote learning. Online instruction has become an essential tool for instructors to engage students and provide digitally supported learning opportunities. Etown's graduate certificate and concentration in High Impact Practices in Online Learning provides candidates with the opportunity to develop expertise to impact both personal and educational system practices for digital-age learning.
REQUEST INFOarrow_right_alt APPLY nowarrow_right_alt
Credits Required: 12
- 10% Alumni Scholarship
- 10% Affinity Partner Scholarship
Tuition and fees are reviewed and subject to change annually.
National Standards for Quality Online Teaching
The following National Standards for Quality Online Teaching (Virtual Learning Leadership Alliance and Quality Matters, 2019) are supported by learning in this concentration/certificate program:
- Standard A: Professional Responsibilities: The online teacher demonstrates professional responsibilities in keeping with the best practices of online instruction
- Standard B: Digital Pedagogy: The online teacher supports learning and facilitates presence (teacher, social, and learner) with digital pedagogy
- Standard C: Community Building: The online teacher facilitates interactions and collaboration to build a supportive online community that fosters active learning
- Standard D: Learner Engagement: The online teacher promotes learner success through interactions with learners and other stakeholders and by facilitating meaningful learner engagement in learning activities.
- Standard E: Digital Citizenship: The online teacher models, guides, and encourages legal, ethical, and safe behavior related to technology use.
- Standard F: Diverse Instruction: The online teacher personalizes instruction based on the learner’s diverse academic, social, and emotional needs.
- Standard G: Assessment and Measurement: The online teacher creates and/or implements assessments in online learning environments in ways that ensure the validity and reliability of the instruments and procedures.
- Standard H: Instructional Design: The online teacher curates and creates instructional materials, tools, strategies, and resources to engage all learners and ensure achievement of academic goals
Curriculum and Instruction Program Outcomes
- Demonstrate knowledge of curriculum mapping, theory, models, and pedagogical approaches.
- Apply these models, theories, and pedagogical approaches in their own practice, across sociocultural contexts, and in diverse learning environments.
- Display commitment and leadership for building learning communities through collaborative strategies and among key stakeholders, including students, parents, educators, and staff.
- Use and apply formal and informal assessment strategies to promote and evaluate the continual intellectual, social-emotional, and personal development of all learners.
- Use and apply instructional technologies to promote and evaluate the continual intellectual, social-emotional, and personal development of all learners.
- Design and conduct action research that explores learning strategies related to classroom, community, or cross-disciplinary issues.
This certificate is endorsed by the Pennsylvania Department of Education (PDE), resulting in the awarding of the Online Instruction Program PK-12 endorsement.
To be eligible to apply to a graduate certificate, you must:
- have official transcripts conferring a baccalaureate degree from a regionally accredited college or university.
- have an undergraduate grade point average of 3.0 or higher (waivers can be granted based on professional work experience and other factors)
- have a minimum of three years of professional leadership/management experience
- have time to devote to your coursework; in an accelerated program, time spent outside of class is considerable
Please feel free to contact or meet with our admissions team at any point during the application process. Our admissions counselors are not only a great resource to guide you through the process and answer questions, they are skilled at helping our applicants find the best program and options to help them reach their goals!
How to Apply: Complete the graduate application process via the online portal which will also include:
- Submitting a $25 nonrefundable application fee (Waived for Elizabethtown College graduates).
- Uploading your current resume.
- Requesting official transcripts from all undergraduate institutions attended.
- Uploading a 1-2 page essay addressing your:
- motivation for pursuing the graduate certificate
- statement of professional goals
- goals for the application of the graduate certificate to your professional life
Our experienced Admissions staff is here to help. Fill out a brief contact form and one of our counselors will reach out to guide you on your way.