Filing for the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) is changing, and Elizabethtown College is here to help you and your family!
What is Changing?
The FAFSA Simplification Act was enacted into law as part of the Consolidated Appropriations Act, 2021, and amended by the Consolidated Appropriations Act, 2022. The Act further amends the Higher Education Act of 1965, as amended (HEA), and impacts the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA®), according to the Department of Education. The new FAFSA Simplification process is aimed to offer a more streamlined application process and overall better user experience.
- The 2024–25 FAFSA completion date is December 2023. Previously, it was distributed in October but will now be available in December.
- There will be a streamlined application process including fewer questions and an easier way to transfer tax information directly from the IRS.
- Expanded eligibility for federal student aid and reduced barriers for certain student populations (e.g., homeless and unaccompanied youth, incarcerated students, English language learners, and students from low-income backgrounds).
- New terminology:
- The term Expected Family Contribution (EFC) will be replaced with the Student Aid Index (SAI) – this is a new need analysis formula that we will use when awarding need-based grants and scholarships.
- New terms like contributor (anyone who is asked to provide information on the FAFSA, e.g., a family member or spouse) and consent (each contributor will need to consent to their information being included on the FAFSA).
Continue to check this FAFSA Simplification page as we share updates to the new FAFSA Simplification process.
Apply for Financial Aid
We understand investing in a quality education is an important factor during your college search. Elizabethtown College offers a comprehensive need-based financial aid and merit scholarship program for incoming and current students. View our step-by-step instruction process for you to navigate.
What Action is Required?
- Mark Your Calendar for December 2023 - We will provide the official completion date for your 2024-2025 FAFSA as soon as it's available.
- Check back regularly for updates - We will keep you informed with more information as it becomes available.
We understand this process is new and that is why we are here to help answer your questions at any time!
Office of Financial Aid
1 Alpha Drive
Elizabethtown, PA 17022
Phone: (717) 361-1404
Fax: (717) 361-1514