Frequently Asked Questions

The name of your financial aid counselor is listed on the Student Aid Portal under the Documents and Messages tab.

You can view your Financial Aid Information on your Student Aid Portal.

The Student Aid Portal login is your 7-digit student ID number without the EC#. If you are accessing this portal for the first time select first time user and follow the prompts. If you forgot your password, click on the “Forgot Your Password.” Please keep in mind that three unsuccessful attempts at logging in will automatically lock your account and you will have to contact the Financial Aid office to unlock it.  

Student Aid Portal

After receiving your financial aid package, you must log into your Student Aid Portal and accept or decline your awards first.

Send us an email stating such, (vice versa if wanting to accept loans that were previously declined).

Student Aid Portal

Should the Financial Aid Office require additional documents, students are contacted via email, mail and/or phone informing him/her of the documents needed. You can also see what documents are needed on the Documents tab on the Student Aid Portal.

Returning students will receive their Financial Aid Award notification during the summer prior to the fall term tuition due date. Accepted new students will receive their Financial Aid Award package beginning late fall once we receive a completed FAFSA.

One in three students whom complete the FAFSA are selected by the Department of Education for Verification.  Verification is a process used to verify certain information on the FAFSA to ensure its accuracy. This is an additional step, which the institution must complete prior to disbursing the student’s financial aid. In order to complete the Verification process we would request a Tax Transcript, a Verification Worksheet, and/or other verification documents. If you are selected for verification, we will contact you directly and provide you with additional information as to what we would need.

Once you have accepted your Federal Student Loans (Subsided/Un-Subsided) and you are first time borrower, you must complete Loan Entrance Counseling and the Loan Master Promissory Note in order for those funds to disburse to your student account. Both requirements must be completed on  by logging in with your FSA ID (same login as the FAFSA). The Loan Entrance Counseling provides you with information to ensure that you understand the responsibilities and obligations of borrowing a Direct Stafford Loan.  The MPN is a legal document in which you promise to repay your federal student loan(s) and any accrued interest and fees to your lender/loan holder.

If the tax information that you entered in the FAFSA does not reflect the current financial situation for the student and/or family, contact the Financial Aid Office to discuss your circumstance with your Financial Aid Counselor.

Parents whom applied and are approved for the Parent PLUS Loan with or without an endorser must complete a Parent PLUS Loan MPN. Those approved with an Endorser must complete a new MPN for each new loan awarded.

Yes, the FAFSA for the upcoming academic year is available every October. For example, the 2019/2020 Academic year FAFSA will be available October 1 2018.

Yes. U.S. Government savings bonds are reported as assets for the individual in whose name the bonds were taken out.

The value of certificates of deposit should be reported as an asset on the FAFSA.

The value of a 529 plan owned by a dependent student or one of their parents  is considered a parental asset on the FAFSA.  Any 529 plan that is owned by the dependent student's parent is reported as a parent asset on the FAFSA. This includes the 529 plans for siblings.

Other 529 plans are not reported as assets on the student’s FAFSA, but distributions from such 529 plans are reported as untaxed income.

Any educational benefits paid because of student’s enrollment in postsecondary institution would need to be counted as estimated financial aid assistance. It is the policy of Elizabethtown College that outside scholarships, awards or grants will first be applied to unmet need which includes need based self-help awarded. If the total amount of outside scholarships, awards or grants exceed the unmet need, the College will reduce its institutional need-based gift aid (i.e. Trustee) dollar for dollar. If the student has not received any need-based gift aid, this policy does not apply.

Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) is required for all students that are interesting in receiving federal financial aid. SAP is evaluated at the end of each term. Students are required to maintain a minimum cumulative GPA , complete a minimum percentage of classes attempted and complete their degree program within a maximum timeframe. Please see complete SAP  policy for more information.

Incomplete grades (“I”) do not affect a student’s cumulative GPA for SAP, but count as credit hours attempted toward both completion rate and maximum time-frame SAP requirements. An incomplete grade counts as credit hours attempted but will not count as credit hours completed/earned until a passing grade has been assigned. It is the student’s responsibility to inform the Financial Aid Office of all grade changes (ex. from “I” to “B”) to ensure that their SAP status is reviewed. Deadlines for incomplete grades are posted on the Registration and Records webpage.

Visit My Federal Student Aid or NSLDS (National Student Loan Data System) to view your federal student loan history and find out whom to make your loan payments.

A full-time student (24-36 credits per academic year) must successfully advance at least 24 credits in the two preceding semesters (summer academic work, where applicable, may be included). Incompletes, withdrawals, course repetitions and non-credit remedial courses are not counted. Repeat F’s are not counted in the semester when first received; Repeat D’s and C’s are not counted in the semester when repeated.

A student must be enrolled on a full-time basis in the traditional daytime program (12–18 credit hours a semester) to be eligible for all institutional financial assistance. Students who enroll for less than 12 credit hours in a semester may still be eligible for funding from State and Federal programs.

Merit-based aid is limited to eight semesters (10 semesters for 4+1 Master's Degree Programs). Institutional aid for subsequent semesters is solely based on demonstrated need.

All students who have received Direct Subsidized / Unsubsidized / or Graduate PLUS loans must complete Exit Counseling online at 

Students who received a Perkins loan will receive Exit Counseling instructions from our loan servicer, UAS, by email.

Our office also hosts Exit Counseling workshops on campus in December and April to help students complete the exit counseling process. Visit the announcements page for specific dates and locations.

Contact your student loan servicer to request a Loan Deferment or Forbearance. These two options could temporarily postpone or reduce your federal student loan payments. Your student loan servicer can also discuss other repayment plan options such as income-driven repayment plans or consolidation. Visit NSLDS for your loan servicer’s contact information.

The College determines enrollment status based on credit load. In-school loan deferment eligibility is based on having an enrollment status of at least “half time” (six credits for undergrad and three credits for graduates). Notify the Financial Aid office prior to the start of your internship, fieldwork, or co-op to discuss any implications that it may have on financial aid eligibility and student loan repayment. We can provide guidance and help locate specific resources as it relates to your individual financial aid package. Locate the name of your financial aid counselor on your Student Aid Portal, email us at or call (717) 361-1404.

Living off-campus typically costs less than living on campus. Living off-campus (such as sharing an apartment) is also different from being a commuter (living with parents). Changes to your housing status will reduce your cost of attendance COA and your demonstrated need and subsequently your financial aid award. It is important that you consult with the Financial Aid Office before changing your housing status. You will also need to follow the appropriate procedures provided by Residential Life.

Your financial aid awards may be reduced or canceled if you fail to maintain required credit enrollment. Dropped courses may also affect Satisfactory Academic Progress. It is important that you speak with the Financial Aid Office before reducing your credit load or changing course-grading options to audit.