Asian Studies Minor
The Asian Studies minor at Elizabethtown College provides students with the skills that can only come from studying the Humanities, such as critical thinking and writing skills, and the ability to research and present information in a persuasive way. Our courses focus on the cultures of Asia, with a special focus on Japan and India. They include courses in the study of Japanese history, art, and, and literature and on religious traditions such as Hinduism, Buddhism, Jainism, Daoism, and Shinto. They also include the study of such Asian languages as Japanese and Sanskrit. Asian Studies minors are also expected to study abroad, spending at least one semester in an Asian country. A minor in Asian Studies can enrich any course of study at our college. Whether you are a STEM major, a Business major, or an English or History major, whatever your field of study, an Asian Studies minor can enhance and deepen your college experience.
Students can apply their learning outside the classroom by studying abroad in a variety of Asian countries, including
At the end of your studies, you will have developed a deep appreciation of Asian cultures, with a firm grasp of an Asian language of your choice (Chinese, Japanese, or Sanskrit). Asian Studies programs are interdisciplinary in nature, preparing students for a variety of careers and graduate programs.
Asian Studies Courses
Courses in the Asian Studies minor focus on history, society, business, art, entertainment, philosophy, and religion, and range from ancient to modern times. Some of the available electives are listed below.
- BA 280 - Doing Business in China
- BA 281 - Exploring China - History, Culture, and Business
- CHN 133 - NCH Introduction to Chinese Culture and Society
- HI 224 - History of Modern China
- HI 225 - History of Modern Japan
- JA 240 - NCH History of Japanese Art and Aesthetics (ART 240)
- JA 245 - NCH From Anime to Zen: Japanese Society, Business, and Culture
- JA 250 - Discovering Contemporary Japan: A Three-Week Cultural Immersion Experience
- REL 290 - NCH Dharma Traditions: Hindu, Buddhist, Jain, and Sikh
- REL 391 - Modern Hinduism
- REL 392 - Religion in China and Japan
- REL 393 - Indian Philosophy
Asian Studies Careers
An Asian Studies minor doesn’t narrowly focus on just one career outcome. Instead, it takes a broad liberal arts approach, building critical thinking, analysis, and writing and communication skills. These are necessary skills for graduate study, and many students in the program go on to earn their master’s degree or PhD.
Some possible career paths for an Asian Studies minor include:
- International Public Relations
- Art and Animation
Elizabethtown College offers vibrant and diverse clubs, including:
Additionally, the campus community hosts various events that examine Asian culture, such as movie nights, lectures, and panel discussions. Events scheduled for the year can be found on the Campus News and Events calendar.
For more information about the Asian Studies Minor, contact Dr. David Kenley, Professor of Asian Studies and History, at email@example.com.