Auditions for Music Majors and Performance Scholarships
Auditions for Performance Scholarships and admission as a music major for Fall 2015 are scheduled for January 17, 31, February 14 or 21. If you are interested in auditioning for Music Education, Music Therapy, or BA Music degree programs, please read the following for important information. A link to request an audition is at the bottom of the page.
When Auditions are held each spring
Who Prospective music majors and any prospective student (regardless of major) who wishes to be considered for a Performance Scholarship. Students planning on majoring in music (Music Education, Music Therapy, or Bachelor of Arts in Music) are REQUIRED to audition for their respective program. Note that you must have an application to Elizabethtown College on file before you may audition. You do NOT need to have received an acceptance to the college to audition.
What Performance Scholarships are awarded to students based upon their performance at the audition as well as the needs of music ensembles at the College.
- Acceptance of a Performance Scholarship requires the student to enroll in the assigned ensemble as well as in private instruction on their instrument.
- Scholarships are renewed each year when requirements are met.
How to Prepare
- Audition on at least one instrument (voice is considered an instrument)
- Choose two pieces of literature that are contrasting style and of a suitable level, (see literature information for comparable examples)
- Audition on more than one instrument if you feel qualified to do so. Standards and expectations are the same for both instruments.
- Be prepared to sight-read music on your instrument. Instrumentalists will also be asked to play several scales on their instrument (appropriate to the instrument).
- Supply an accompanist, if possible.
- If this is not possible, you may request an accompanist at least two weeks in advance of your audition date.
If you have requested an accompanist,
please be sure to send legible photocopies/scans of your music to firstname.lastname@example.org at least two weeks in advance of your audition.
- Please note: The use of reproduced copyrighted music is permitted ONLY when original copies are also present or with written permission from the publisher.
- Please note there is no time in the schedule for rehearsal with our accompanists prior to your audition.
- Audition selections for which an accompaniment has been composed must be performed with the accompaniment.
- Use of pre-recorded accompaniment is strongly discouraged.
Location: Auditions are held in Zug Hall located near the center of campus, close to the student center (Brossman Student Commons) and the High Library. Check-in is located in the Hess Gallery on the top floor of Zug Hall.
Parking: All lots are open parking on weekends. Please observe handicap, service vehicle, and short-term parking signs. A campus map is available.
Performance Scholarship Only (ie. not majoring in music): Please check-in (Zug Hall top floor) 30 minutes prior to your assigned audition time. You are free to leave at the conclusion of your audition.
Music Majors: The day begins at 8:00am with check-in and concludes around 3:00. Lunch is provided.
Those applying to major in music must provide a letter of reference and complete the following additional tasks on the audition day:
At the audition-interview all music majors will complete exams in:
• Aural Skills (identification of basic melody, rhythmic and harmonic materials)
• Sight singing (singing of basic diatonic melodies without accompaniment)
An interview will be held with the coordinator of the program of study the student wishes to pursue. This interview is intended to assess readiness to enter a specific degree program and to help prospective students understand the goals and requirements of the program. Baccalaureate degrees in Music Therapy, Music Education and Music are offered by the Department. Details may be found in the College catalog.
What to Bring
- Music and your instrument (percussionists and pianists will be provided instruments for use)
- Original copies of music for accompanist (i.e. no photocopied music except as noted above)
- Letter of Reference (Music Majors only)
Music Major Audition Request 2015
Non-Major Audition Request 2015