Music Auditions & Scholarships
This webpage provides information on Auditions & Scholarships for students interested in music at Elizabethtown College. For students who want to major in music, an audition is required, and it also serves as the basis for considering them for the Music Performance Scholarship. For other students, Music Performance Scholarships are awarded to outstanding performers, regardless of their major. Auditions are open to vocal, keyboard, and instrumental performers, and scholarships are awarded to both music and non-music majors, including first-year and transfer students. The scholarship awards vary in size and are renewable for up to four years. Students are allowed to audition in a maximum of two performing areas.
View More Information About Our Music Programs:
An audition is required for all students interested in majoring in a music-related field. As part of the audition, prospective music majors are also considered for a Music Performance Scholarship.
All Other Majors
Music Performance Scholarships are awarded to outstanding performing musicians (regardless of major) who meet the challenges of Elizabethtown's academic environment. Awards range in size and are renewable for four years. Vocal, keyboard, and instrumental performers are invited to audition. Scholarships are open to music and non-music majors. Scholarships are awarded to first-year and transfer students. Open to instrumental, vocal, and keyboard (piano and organ) performers. Students may audition in a maximum of two performing areas.
Audition Dates 2023-24 (Dates are subject to change)
- November 18, 2023
- January 20, 2024
- February 3, 2024
- February 17, 2024
- February 24, 2024
Before the Audition:
Step 1: Submit your application to Elizabethtown College using either the Elizabethtown or Common Application.
Step 2: Request an audition date by clicking on the appropriate link:
- Music Major Request: Request an audition for majors in Music Education, Music Therapy, or Bachelor of Arts in Music. Prospective music majors will be considered for a Music Performance Scholarship during the audition.
- Music Performance Scholarship Request (for Non-Music Majors): Request an audition for a Performance Scholarship.
Step 3: Choose your literature. See the literature information for examples.
On Your Audition Day:
- Music Majors: The day's activities begin at 8 a.m. and will conclude around 2 p.m.
- Performance Scholarship Only (non-music majors): You are only required to attend your assigned audition time (sent at a later date) to perform your chosen music literature and complete the sight-reading portion of your audition.
The candidate must have applied to Elizabethtown College, but acceptance to the college is not required (prior to the audition).
- Perform two pieces of literature that are contrasting styles and of an appropriate level. See literature information for comparable examples. Note that your instrument may not be included in the sample list. Examine the literature for similar or related instruments.
- Sight-read music on your instrument. Instrumentalists will also be asked to play several scales on their instrument (appropriate to the instrument).
- Accompaniment should be performed for audition selections composed with accompaniment. Pre-recorded accompaniment tracks are not permitted.
- Prospective Music Majors must also complete a music theory diagnostic exam, interview with the Program Director, complete an aural/singing exam, and provide a letter of recommendation from a music teacher.
- Candidates for the music major who have been accepted to Elizabethtown College will receive notification of the outcome of their audition via mail, usually within two weeks of their audition. Candidates may not be accepted into the music program without first being accepted to Elizabethtown College. All candidates for the music major will also be automatically considered for a Music Performance Scholarship.
- Music Performance Scholarship offers will be mailed within two weeks of the last audition date. All incoming prospective students, regardless of major, are eligible for a Music Performance Scholarship. Music Performance Scholarships are awarded based on the merit of the candidate's audition and the needs of our music ensembles. Award offers may ONLY be made to students who have been accepted to Elizabethtown College.
Music Performance Scholarships are renewed annually so long as the recipient meets the following criteria:
- Enroll in private lessons on their instrument with College music faculty (30 minutes per week for non-music majors and 1 hour per week for music majors).
- Demonstrate acceptable progress in their private lessons and in the ensemble as assigned.
- Maintain enrollment in the ensemble to which they are assigned.
Audition Day Schedule:
- Music Majors: Audition Day begins at 8 a.m. in Zug Memorial Hall, Hess Gallery (2nd floor). The first session begins at 8:30 followed by diagnostic exams, auditions, and interviews. Lunch will be provided in the Marketplace for you and your family. The audition process concludes around 2 p.m.
- Performance Scholarship Only (non-music majors): Please arrive 30 minutes prior to your assigned time. You are free to leave at the conclusion of your audition.
Those applying to major in Music Education, Music Therapy, or Music must complete the following additional tasks on the audition day:
- Diagnostic Exams: Aural Skills (identification of basic melody, rhythmic and harmonic materials) and Sight-singing (singing of basic diatonic melodies without accompaniment).
- Program Interview: An interview will be held with the coordinator of the program of study the student wishes to pursue. This interview is intended to assess readiness to enter a specific degree program and to help prospective students understand the goals and requirements of the program.
Questions? Contact Dr. Matthew Fritz by email or at 717-361-1112.