School of Graduate and Professional Studies
About the Series:
The School of Graduate and Professional Studies at Elizabethtown College sponsors unique study opportunities for working professionals and community members seeking intellectual and personal growth.
The series provides opportunities for participants to focus on professional development and enhance their skillsets in the school’s signature disciplines - Business, Education, and Health/Human Services. Opportunities also exist to explore the college’s heritage in service, peacemaking, and the transformative study of the liberal arts.
Community members and working professionals may elect to audit courses in the study series. Scroll down to view upcoming sessions.
Summer 2020 Series:
Weekend Seminar Course: The Opioid Epidemic
This weekend seminar focuses on the phenomenon of the opioid epidemic. The path taken by our society to get to this crisis point will be analyzed with a close look at the roles of the pharmaceutical industry and medical community. The psychological, economic, drug counseling, and law enforcement components will also be examined. Through these experiences, the learner constructs a foundation from which he/she can more deeply explore how the opioid epidemic has impacted society.
Course Learning Outcomes:
- Discuss the history and origin of opioid usage in the United States.
- Examine the psychological factors involved with opioid addiction.
- Analyze how the opioid epidemic has affected our overall economy, including the role of the pharmaceutical industry and the medical community.
- Articulate the role counseling and rehabilitative services play in curbing the opioid epidemic.
- Explain current law enforcement tactics and how effective they are in fighting the opioid epidemic.
- Friday, June 19, 6:00 pm – 10:00 pm
Participate in a variety of learning experience, including lectures, group discussion, and multi-media presentations
- Saturday, June 20, 9:00 am – noon
Participate in a variety of learning experiences, including lectures, group discussion, and multi-media presentations
- Saturday, June 20, 1:00 pm – 4:00 pm
Participate in a panel discussion with experts in the field
Cost: $380.00 (includes all materials)