Under ADAAA colleges must be able to demonstrate an effective process and clear policies demonstrating the college’s procedures for compliance. Providing access is a cooperative effort by the entire campus community; all academic offices and departments must be in compliance in order for the institution to be in compliance.
Role of Faculty & Academic Departments
- Establish departmental policies for compliance with ADA
- Consistent faculty compliance with requested academic accommodations
- Inclusive instruction & accessible instructional material, accessible media policies
- Identify and document essential academic and interpersonal elements of each course and program of study
- Notify Disability Services if requested accommodation represents a fundamental alteration of essential elements
- Maintain confidentiality