The Bowers Center for Sports, Fitness and Well-Being
Other Events and Information
The Office of Campus Recreation and Well-Being offers certification through the American Red Cross for Adult First Aid/CPR/AED. The cost for current Elizabethtown College students, staff and faculty is $65. The cost for community members is $80. Visit our CPR Certification website for more information and to register for one of the following upcoming classes:
- July 12 (4 time slots, 8 people/session): 7:30 am - 9:00 am, 10:00 am - 11:30 am, 12:30 pm - 2:00 pm, 2:30 pm - 4:00 pm
- August 11 (4 time slots, 8 people/session): 7:30 am - 9:00 am, 10:00 am - 11:30 am, 12:30 pm - 2:00 pm, 2:30 pm - 4:00 pm
New and Due Mother's Course:
Join Etown RecWell for this 5-week course designed for new and expecting mothers. Each week we will discuss different health and well-being topics to help you feel a little more prepared for motherhood! Cost of each class is $30, or bundle all 5 classes for $125! Classes will take place at the Bowers Center for Sports, Fitness and Well-Being on Elizabethtown College's campus. Pre-register in advance here!
- Week 1: July 13, 5-6:30 PM - Overview of Nutrition for Mom and Baby - We will review common myths about prenatal & postnatal nutrition, discuss a variety of diets, and how to help with common challenges: heartburn, constipation, healthy weight management, cravings & milk production.
- Week 2: July 20, 5-6:30 PM - Freezer Meal Prep - We will prepare and discuss 2-3 freezer meals and continue our discussion about foods and nutrients that support healthy baby development, milk production & providing mom with what is needed.
- Week 3: July 27, 5-6:30 PM - Pre/Postnatal Fitness - We will review common fitness myths, engage in a sample of exercises and discuss nutrition to support additional activity.
- Week 4: August 3, 5-6:30 PM - Lactation: What to Expect - In this class, Chelsea Fought, PA-C, IBCLC, will go into detail about the first week of Lactation and what to expect: the golden hour, latching, expressing milk, skin to skin. She will also touch on common lactation disorders (mastitis, thrush, clogged ducts), mental health and types of pumps.
- Week 5, August 10, 5-6:30 PM - Baby Led Weaning - We will discuss BLW techniques, helpful products, infant first aid (specifically choking), and prepare some items for BLW. We will also discuss challenges of BLW, how-to meal plan and incorporate items into your family’s meal plan and show 1 family meal and how BLW items can be isolated just for baby.
Hunt for Happiness Information:
Shop Small: Help support our community by shopping at some of these local businesses!
Local Volunteer Opportunities
- Bethesda Mission: Volunteer - Bethesda Mission
- Brethren Housing: Ways to Get Involved | Brethren Housing Association (bha-pa.org)
- Church World Service: Individual and Group Volunteers | CWS Lancaster
- Cornerstone Youth Ministries: https://cornerstoneetown.org/vol
- ECHO: Get Involved – ECHOS Lancaster
- GEARS: Join Our Team | GEARS (getintogears.org)
- Habitat for Humanity: https://lancasterlebanonhabitat.org/volunteer-opportunities/
- Midwest Food Bank: Pennsylvania - Midwest Food Bank
- Ronald McDonald House Hershey PA: Volunteer - Ronald McDonald House Charities of Central PA (rmhc-centralpa.org)
- Water Street Mission: Volunteer with Us - Water Street Mission | Serving Lancaster, PA (wsm.org)
Contact email@example.com for a list of suggested nonperishable donations for Blue Jay Pantry and the Elizabethtown Community Cupboard. Tutoring, afterschool programming, scout leadership and NAACP coaching opportunities are also available.
Sustainability - Reuse and Recycle: In 2018, the United States generated 67,390,000 tons of paper and cardboard waste. Per capita, individuals are generating approximately 4.9 pounds of municipal solid waste each day. That's increased 0.5 pounds from 2017 to 2018 (source: epa.gov). There are so many reason to practice sustainability. Recycling paper can reduce the amount of trees being cut down, save landfill spaces and help reduce greenhouse gases. Do your part and drop off any unused paper to The Well from now until the end of January and we will recycle it for you (during The Well open hours)! Anyone that brings in paper to recycle will receive a reusable grocery bag!
Get Out and Hike!
Hiking has many health benefits, from physical to emotional and mental. Lancaster County is home to tons of hiking trails! Visit one of these four hiking trails that are all less than 8 miles from campus!
NW Lancaster County River Trail
Conewago Recreational Trail
Bellaire Woods Nature Preserve
Cove Outlook Park Loop
Etown RecWell YouTube Channel
Check out our new EtownRecWell YouTube Channel, where we will be posting fun and interactive videos such as quick, inexpensive cooking demonstration and workouts you can do at home!
- Pantry Vegetable Soup - Find the recipe here!
- Scrambled Egg Breakfast Muffins - Find the recipe here!
- Sheet Pan Chicken Fajitas - Find the recipe here!
- Baked Banana & Chocolate Chip Oatmeal - Find the recipe here!
- Chickpea Salad - Find the recipe here!
- Healthy Crispy Chick - Find the recipe here!
- Protein Bites - Find the recipe here!
- Cooking with the J's: Healthy Recipes for the Mind and Body post-session information
- Pre and Post Run Stretches
- Audio Running Class
- Ab Workouts
- Upper Body Workouts
- Lower Body Workouts
- Spin classes
- ...and more!