The Bowers Center for Sports, Fitness and Well-Being
Virtual Resolutions Week
January 25-January 29
It's never too late to start your New Years Resolutions! Follow along on our social media and YouTube channels @EtownRecWell to see all of the virtual events and topics we have planned!
- January 25: Journaling
- January 26: Sleep Therapy
- January 27: Healthy Snacking
- January 28: Fitness
- January 29: Goal Setting
Intramural Sign Ups
February 1 - February 12
We will be playing doubles tennis, doubles badminton and Esports. We will also have multiple one-day tournaments throughout the semester. Sign up on IMLeagues. League play will begin the week of February 15.
Leave 2020 Behind You: Spring 2021 Fitness Challenge
February 1 - April 30
We can all agree that 2020 was a tough year! Let's put it behind us and work towards a happier and healthier you! Log 2,021 minutes of physical and well-being activities and submit minutes each week. Everyone that reaches 2,021 minutes by April 30 will be entered into a raffle to win an Apple Watch! Prizes can be won for reaching other milestones as well! To register, email email@example.com. See a list of possibly activities here.
Bowers Center Modified Hours
The Bowers Center will be opened modified hours during the week of February 8 - 14. We will start our regular semester hours on Monday, February 15. The modified hours will be:
- Monday - Friday: 11:00 AM - 7:00 PM
- Saturday and Sunday: 12:00 PM - 5:00 PM
Group Fitness Classes
Group fitness classes will start on Monday, February 15. We will be offering a variety of classes, both in-person with restrictions and virtually. For class offerings, descriptions, registration and information, visit our Group Fitness page!
Choose from 4 different time slots. For more information, view our CPR Certification page.
Food Pairings: Healthy Comfort Foods
Shake the Winter Blues
February 18 from 5:00 PM - 7:00 PM, Bowers Center
February 24 from 11:00 AM - 2:00 PM, Bowers Center Demonstration Kitchen
Etown RecWell YouTube Channel
Check out our new EtownRecWell YouTube Channel, where we will be posting fun and interactive videos such as quick, inexpensive cooking demonstration and workouts you can do at home!
- Pantry Vegetable Soup - Find the recipe here!
- Scrambled Egg Breakfast Muffins - Find the recipe here!
- Sheet Pan Chicken Fajitas - Find the recipe here!
- Baked Banana & Chocolate Chip Oatmeal - Find the recipe here!
- Chickpea Salad - Find the recipe here!
- Healthy Crispy Chick - Find the recipe here!
- Protein Bites - Find the recipe here!
- Cooking with the J's: Healthy Recipes for the Mind and Body post-session information
- Pre and Post Run Stretches
- Audio Running Class
- Ab Workouts
- Upper Body Workouts
- Lower Body Workouts
- Spin classes
- ...and more!
Coping through COVID-19
To support the students and employees of Elizabethtown College during this stressful time, the Office of Campus Recreation and Well-Being has put together a list of links that covers topics like "how to work from home" to "what to do with all this free time". We hope this information is useful to you during this time! If you have anything to add, please let us know!
Students - Improving your Academic Success
- Tutoring with the Learning Zone! - The Learning Zone will be operating remotely. Use Zoom to schedule one-on-one academic and writing tutoring sessions. Email Tammie Longsdorf (firstname.lastname@example.org) or Rick Fellinger (email@example.com) to schedule your session! Academic Coaching is also available! Contact Tammie Longsdorf to help with your academic game plan and online strategies!
- How to be successful at online classes: 8 tips for online class success by Northeastern University
- Apps - 12 free apps every student should have
- Practice a Foreign Language - Babble
- Lean into your top 5 strengths and be intentional about using your strengths to be successful - Clifton Strengths
- Learn more about your personality and why you are the way you are - The Enneagram Personality Test
- Knowing the symptoms and coping with "cabin fever" by verywellmind.com
Parents - Keeping your Kids Engaged
- How to talk to your kids about the Coronavirus by PBS
- Making the most of COVID-19 school closures by NESCA
How to Work from Home
- Don't make these 6 biggest mistakes if you're working from home from CNBC
- Research new programming options
- Tips from the experts about working from home from Bloomberg
- Desk Stretches by the Muse
How to Deal with Stress and Anxiety
- Talk with one of our counselors!
- Find a source of faith, grounding and spiritual well-being - Join in a Zoom meeting for our Online Campus Worship or Online Centering Prayer
- Coping with stress from COVID-19 from the CDC
- How to prepare for COVID-19 from the CDC
- Letting go of worry by Psychology Today
- How mindfulness can help you navigate the Coronavirus Pandemic by Mindful
- How to meditate with anxiety by Mindful
How to Exercise at Home
- Peloton - Free trial period
- Les Mills On Demand - fitness video subscription now offering a free collection
- Down Dog Yoga App
- Hal Higdon running plans
- POPSUGAR Fitness - home workouts
- FitnessBlender - Featuring over 600 full length at home workouts
- Blogilates - Full length pilates inspired workouts you can follow along at home
How to Intentionally Pass the Time
- Learn a new language - link above
- Try a new workout routine - links above
- Try a new craft - 10 crafts to try this year by The Spruce Crafts
- Listen to an Audiobook - Audible
- Start your spring cleaning - The ultimate room-by-room spring cleaning checklist by Taste of Home
- Start Adulting - create a budget, organize life documents, balance your checkbook, read your insurance policies
How to Have Fun
- Music - Follow your favorite musicians/comedians on social media! Many are doing Facebook live concerts from their living rooms!
- "Ride" Disney attractions virtually!
- Tour a museum virtually!
- See live streams of animals at the zoo!
- Play a board game
- Do a puzzle
- Read the books you've been meaning to
- 100 things to do while stuck inside due to a pandemic by USA Today