The Bowers Center for Sports, Fitness and Well-Being
All in-person SAWR events scheduled through the rest of the spring semester have been canceled. See below for a list of resources and tips to maintain youe mental and physical wellness as well as virtual events our office is hosting.
#BlueJayBites Social Media Campaign
March 23 - March 31
Help SWAG celebrate National Nutrition Month with pictures of healthy meals! Create a healthy meal, take a picture, then post a picture of your meal with #BlueJayBites and tag us on social media! @EtownSAWR. All healthy meals will be entered into a raffle for several prizes: Fresh Nest certificates, infuser water bottles and more! The winner will be announced and notified by April 3! For questions, email firstname.lastname@example.org
Etown SAWR YouTube Channel
Check out our new Etown SAWR YouTube Channel, where we will be posting fun and interactive videos such as quick, inexpensive cooking demonstration you can do at home!
- Pantry Vegetable Soup - Find the recipe here!
Cooking with the J's
Join Joni Eisenhauer, Assistant Director of Health Promotion, and Jennie Melchoir, Staff Counselor, every Thursday at 4:00 PM from April 2 - April 30 via Zoom as they discussed different topics about food and how it affects our mood! Check out our social media pages (@EtownSAWR) for more information or email email@example.com for the Zoom link!
Coping through COVID-19
To support the students and employees of Elizabethtown College during this stressful time, the Office of Student Activities, Well-Being and Recreation has put together a list of links that covers topics like "how to work from home" to "what to do with all this free time". We hope this information is useful to you during this time! If you have anything to add, please let us know!
Students - Improving your Academic Success
- Tutoring with the Learning Zone! - The Learning Zone will be operating remotely. Use Zoom to schedule one-on-one academic and writing tutoring sessions. Email Tammie Longsdorf (firstname.lastname@example.org) or Rick Fellinger (email@example.com) to schedule your session! Academic Coaching is also available! Contact Tammie Longsdorf to help with your academic game plan and online strategies!
- How to be successful at online classes: 8 tips for online class success by Northeastern University
- Apps - 12 free apps every student should have
- Practice a Foreign Language - Babble
- Lean into your top 5 strengths and be intentional about using your strengths to be successful - Clifton Strengths
- Learn more about your personality and why you are the way you are - The Enneagram Personality Test
- Knowing the symptoms and coping with "cabin fever" by verywellmind.com
Parents - Keeping your Kids Engaged
- How to talk to your kids about the Coronavirus by PBS
- Making the most of COVID-19 school closures by NESCA
How to Work from Home
- Don't make these 6 biggest mistakes if you're working from home from CNBC
- Research new programming options
- Tips from the experts about working from home from Bloomberg
- Desk Stretches by the Muse
How to Deal with Stress and Anxiety
- Talk with one of our counselors!
- Find a source of faith, grounding and spiritual well-being - Join in a Zoom meeting for our Online Campus Worship or Online Centering Prayer
- Coping with stress from COVID-19 from the CDC
- How to prepare for COVID-19 from the CDC
- Letting go of worry by Psychology Today
- How mindfulness can help you navigate the Coronavirus Pandemic by Mindful
- How to meditate with anxiety by Mindful
How to Exercise at Home
- Peloton - Free app for 90 days
- Les Mills On Demand - fitness video subscription now offering a free collection
- Down Dog Yoga App - free until April 1st for everyone; free until July 1st for students/teachers
- Hal Higdon running plans
- POPSUGAR Fitness - home workouts
- FitnessBlender - Featuring over 600 full length at home workouts
- Blogilates - Full length pilates inspired workouts you can follow along at home
How to Intentionally Pass the Time
- Learn a new language - link above
- Try a new workout routine - links above
- Try a new craft - 10 crafts to try this year by The Spruce Crafts
- Listen to an Audiobook - Audible
- Start your spring cleaning - The ultimate room-by-room spring cleaning checklist by Taste of Home
- Start Adulting - create a budget, organize life documents, balance your checkbook, read your insurance policies
How to Have Fun
- Music - Follow your favorite musicians/comedians on social media! Many are doing Facebook live concerts from their living rooms!
- "Ride" Disney attractions virtually!
- Tour a museum virtually!
- See live streams of animals at the zoo!
- Play a board game
- Do a puzzle
- Read the books you've been meaning to
- 100 things to do while stuck inside due to a pandemic by USA Today
How to Keep Wellness a Priority
- Eat well!
- Drink enough water!
- Workout at home - see links above
- Stick to a schedule
- Practice Mindfulness - see link above
Friday: 6 a.m. – 7 p.m.
Saturday: 8 a.m. – 7 p.m.
Sunday: 10 a.m. – 9 p.m.