This cooperative program is currently being phased out. Students who enter Elizabethtown College beyond the Fall 2020 are not eligible for this program.
This program aims to establish a sound grounding in microbiology, biochemistry, genetics, and molecular biology as well as students' liberal arts education. The Master of Science in Molecular Medicine is designed to provide academic and practical biotechnological knowledge in translational research, particularly in the areas of molecular therapeutics and vaccine development.
About the Program
This 4+1 program is designed with three years of required and elective undergraduate graduate courses, to fulfill the Biotechnology major. In the fourth year, you will continue your undergraduate research project and take graduate-level science classes delivered from Drexel University, College of Medicine through state-of-the-art, real-time video conferencing. With the successful completion of your fourth year, you will have earned your Bachelor of Science in Biotechnology and will transfer to Drexel University College of Medicine for the fifth and final year of the program. This exclusive program allows Etown College students to complete their master's degree in one year post-graduation, as opposed to two to four years: this saves one to three years of graduate tuition—and allows quicker and more highly skilled entry into the scientific work force.
An important component of the degree is required research and/or internship experience. The type of internship will be determined by the particular interest of the individual student and the availability of participating industry partners for internship positions. The research component of the curriculum can be fulfilled through this summer internship, or through part-time research in an academic setting.
If you do not meet these requirements you may petition for entry into the program after the first year as a Biotechnology major.
Initial Entry into the BS+MS Program:
- A completed undergraduate Elizabethtown admissions application
- Official high school transcripts
- Official record of SAT test scores totaling 1200 or higher OR
- Official ACT score totaling 27 or higher
- Cumulative high school grade point average of 3.5 or higher
If you do not meet one of the above requirements you may petition for entry into the program after the first year as a Biotechnology major Elizabethtown.
Entry into the MS Program:
There will be guaranteed admission into the Molecular Medicine MS program and the classes required for the fourth year at Elizabethtown if the following criteria are met:
- Students have completed the articulated Biotechnology Elizabethtown curriculum, have a cumulative grade point average of at least a 3.0, and have earned at least a 'C' in all undergraduate science courses.
- Students who have achieved a 'B' or better in the fourth year curriculum (i.e. in graduate courses) and have acceptable GRE scores will have guaranteed admission into the second and final year of the Master in Molecular Medicine program at the Drexel campus