Access the placement exam below AFTER reading the General Information.
* You can only take the placement exam ONCE *
INCENTIVE POLICY for students enrolling in Fall 2015 or later: If a student places into a modern language course at the 211 level or higher and earns a B- or better, then he or she will receive credit for the previous course in the sequence. The course must be taken before the end of the student’s second year. This policy is not applicable to native speakers who were formally educated in the language through the high school level.
New Etown Students
All students are required to complete one modern or ancient language course as part of the Elizabethtown College core program.
Students who studied Spanish, French or German in high school and wish to continue studying at Etown MUST complete the Modern Language Placement Exam for that language. Students are not allowed to take the first entry-level course of a language if they completed level 3 or higher in high school, regardless of placement exam results. For scheduling purposes, the placement exam should be completed prior to summer orientation. If students wish to take a new language that wasn’t taken in high school, then they do not need to take the placement exam and can enroll in one of those classes during their time at Etown.
If you want to study Japanese, you MUST meet with a member of the Japanese Faculty for placement. To arrange an appointment, please contact Dr. Bhattacharya (email@example.com) or Dr. Takahashi (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Ancient language (i.e.Sanskrit) is offered through other departments. For details, please consult with your academic advisor.
You can only take the placement exam ONCE .
- If you place yourself into a course lower than where you tested, you will not receive credit for it.
- If you are bilingual, or a native or heritage speaker of a language, you must arrange a personal oral interview with the Department of Modern Languages to determine proper placement.
- Language Placement FAQ sheet.
- The Department of Modern Languages reserves the right to change a student's placement in a course if it believes that the student has not been placed at the appropriate level, or in the most appropriate course, based on the student's exposure to the language.
Any questions related to the Placement Exam should be directed to email@example.com.
You are expected to take this exam without any outside help. Please note that the use of outside resources (websites, textbooks, etc.) is prohibited and considered to be a breach of the Elizabethtown College Pledge of Integrity.
You will be prompted to make an account using your email and student ID number. Once you have made an account you will use your email address as your username to log in and take the placement exam.