Tutor Training Assessment
Please remember to use complete sentences.
For example: I feel the most important characteristics of a tutor include... write more than one sentence.
Please print this page to complete the answers. When completed to Tammie Longsderff at Learning Zone. The tutor training assessment must be completed before you can receive any tutoring assignments.
1. What do you feel are the most important characteristics of a good tutor?
2. What do you personally hope to achieve by becoming a tutor?
3. What is wait time, and why is it important for tutoring?
4. In your own career as a student, when have you felt most motivated to learn? What factors contributed to your motivation? Are there ways you could introduce these factors into your tutoring?
5. How can you know your student's strengths and weaknesses?
6. During the first tutoring session, you realize the student is there for you to do his/her homework. How do you respond to the student?
7. What can you do to establish rapport with your student?
8. Why is it important to know why your student is seeking tutoring?
9. Give an example of how you might handle a wrong answer from your student?
10. What are the characteristics of a good listener?
11. What is active listening?
12. What advice can you give to a student who wants to improve his or her listening skills?
13. How can you integrate study skills into your tutorial sessions?
14. A student is always late to the tutorial session and he/she is always behind in his/her work. You suspect the student has poor time management skills. What do you say to the student?
15. One of your students suffers from test anxiety. What advice do you give to her/him?
16. Why should students look over a returned test?
17. Do you take good notes? What advice about taking good notes can you give to students and, of course, using the notes to help them succeed in class?
18. What suggestions for the classroom can you give to a student who has a learning disability?
19. Who can you contact on campus, if you have a question or concern pertaining to a student with a Learning Disability?
20. What advantages and/or obstacles do you think might be involved in tutoring students from culturally diverse backgrounds?
21. How might you encourage a positive tutorial environment with students from culturally diverse backgrounds?
22. In what ways will a group session differ from an individual session?
23. As a group tutor, what problems do you foresee?
24. What are the primary advantages to group tutoring?
25. How can you encourage participation by all the students in the group?