Study Abroad with a Major in Modern Languages
Studying abroad is often a once-in-a-lifetime experience. Students that take the opportunity to expand their horizons become global citizens.
Studying abroad is unlike learning language through classroom-only instruction. Not only does studying abroad allow you to learn the language from native speakers, but it is the chance for an immersive experience within the unique culture and history of that country.
All modern language majors will spend a year abroad as a part of the graduation requirements for the major. We strongly believe that immersion is the best teacher, and want to offer our students a breadth of global experience. We have several location options through various independent organizations for our students to choose from to fulfill their study abroad requirement for graduation.
One Full Year Abroad
A Modern Languages student can choose to study abroad for one full year in one location, or they can choose to study one semester in one location before spending a second semester somewhere else. These semesters can be in the same academic year, or spread across more than one year. Many colleges merely suggest that their students study abroad for one semester, but by requiring a full year abroad, we find that our students get much more out of the experience. Modern Language minors are not required to study abroad; however it is highly encouraged. For language minors not quite ready for a full semester or year abroad, we have many short-term and faculty-led study abroad options all over the world.
We have several affiliate partnerships with multiple study abroad organizations that provide our students safety, security, and guidance before and during their journey. Our partnerships with these organizations allows E-town students to use their financial aid while studying abroad to reduce the cost. In some cases, students could save money while studying abroad!
Besides standard financial aid, there are numerous scholarships and grants for students looking to study abroad. Students can apply for scholarships from the program or organization they are working with, or from other organizations looking to fund study abroad experiences.
Along with semester-long study abroad experiences, we offer various summer abroad trips with the Center for International Studies? These 3-6 week programs in various countries provide engaging opportunities for students to learn about culture, language, and history while living in exciting locations. See our most popular programs and locations below:
- A semester or year-long study abroad program at Dalian University of Foreign Language in Dalian, China. Nestled between the mountains and the sea, Dalian is both picturesque and modern.
- A May-term study abroad led by E-town College faculty members in various Chinese cities. In the past, this short-term study abroad trip has visited Shanghai, Hangzhou, Beijing, Tai’an, and Jinan.
- A semester, year-long, or short term study abroad program in Aix en Provence, France at Institute for American Universities College, one of the oldest and largest education-abroad sites in Europe. Students can study at the School of Humanities and Social Sciences, Marchutz School of Fine Arts, the School of Business, French Honors Program, or even the University of Aix-Marseille.
- A semester or year-long study abroad program in Paris or Strasbourg, France with IFE. This program allows students to participate in an Independent Field Study and Internship abroad.
- A semester or year-long study abroad program in Marburg, Germany at Philipps-Universität.
- A semester or year-long program in Vienna, Austria at FH Wien. Both of these programs provide students with the opportunity to live abroad while studying and speaking German in an immersive program.
- A semester or year-long study abroad program in Nihon University in Tokyo.
- A semester or year-long study abroad program in Osaka, Japan with Kansai Gadai University.This program offers internship and course work opportunities. Students must have a 3.0 GPA and be nominated in order to participate in this program.
- A semester or year-long study abroad program in Tokyo, Japan with KCP International Japanese Language School. This program allows students to visit Japan and learn Japanese along-side their peers in the heart of Tokyo.
Spanish & Spanish Education
- A semester or year-long study abroad program in Barcelona, Spain at the University of Barcelona. This study abroad program offers classes in Spanish, English, and Catalan, the official language of Catalonia. Students are provided numerous volunteer opportunities, including chances to work with children, immigrants, and teaching.
- A semester or year-long study abroad program in Quito, Ecuador at Universidad de San Francisco de Quito. Quito, Ecuador offers courses in various subjects including Spanish, as well as internship and research opportunities.
- A semester or year-long study abroad program in Xalapa, Mexico, at the University of Veracruz. This program offers volunteering and learning opportunities in all areas with a major focus on the arts including a Department of Jazz Studies. This program also offers a week-long short term study opportunity in Cuba, and a service-learning program centered on civic engagement.
- A semester or year-long study abroad program in Valladolid, Spain at the Universitas Castallae. This university, found in the heart of the former capital city of Spain, is filled to the brim with culture and history. There are internship and volunteer opportunities everywhere in Valladolid.
- A semester, year-long study, or summer abroad program in Buenos Aires, Argentina, at the University of Belgrano. With plenty of culture and state-of-the-art facilities, students have the opportunity to learn about the unique Buenos Aires heritage and culture from the natives.