Study Abroad with a Major in Modern Languages
Studying abroad is often a once-in-a-lifetime experience. Students that take the opportunity to expand their horizons become global citizens.
Studying abroad is unlike learning language through classroom-only instruction. Not only does studying abroad allow you to learn the language from native speakers, but it is the chance for an immersive experience within the unique culture and history of that country.
All modern language majors will spend a year abroad as a part of the graduation requirements for the major. We strongly believe that immersion is the best teacher, and want to offer our students a breadth of global experience. We have several location options through various independent organizations for our students to choose from to fulfill their study abroad requirement for graduation.
Why Study Abroad at Etown?
One Full Year Abroad
A Modern Languages student can choose to study abroad for one full year in one location, or they can choose to study one semester in one location before spending a second semester somewhere else. These semesters can be in the same academic year, or spread across more than one year. Many colleges merely suggest that their students study abroad for one semester, but by requiring a full year abroad, we find that our students get much more out of the experience. Modern Language minors are not required to study abroad; however it is highly encouraged. For language minors not quite ready for a full semester or year abroad, we have many short-term and faculty-led study abroad options all over the world.
We have several affiliate partnerships with multiple study abroad organizations that provide our students safety, security, and guidance before and during their journey. Our partnerships with these organizations allows Etown students to use their financial aid while studying abroad to reduce the cost. In some cases, students could save money while studying abroad!
Besides standard financial aid, there are numerous scholarships and grants for students looking to study abroad. Students can apply for scholarships from the program or organization they are working with, or from other organizations looking to fund study abroad experiences.
Where can I study abroad?
Along with semester-long study abroad experiences, we offer various summer abroad trips with the Study Abroad Office. These 3-6 week programs in various countries provide engaging opportunities for students to learn about culture, language, and history while living in exciting locations. See our most popular programs and locations below:
- A semester or year-long study abroad program in Shanghai. Students in this program will have three study options: they may take one Chinese language course and 2 courses taught in English for a total of 12-semester credits, or they make take 3 courses taught in English plus a Chinese language course for a total of 15-semester credits. they may take 4 courses taught in English for a total of 12-semester credits.
- A May-term study abroad led by Etown College faculty members in various Chinese cities. In the past, this short-term study abroad trip has visited Shanghai, Hangzhou, Beijing, Tai’an, and Jinan.
French Language and Culture in Normandy (Caen) This program is designed to help students who wish to study abroad in Caen improve their written and spoken French (via grammar, vocabulary and language activities), as well as increase the students’ knowledge of various areas of French culture and civilization. All students will take courses at the Departement Formations en Langues (DFL) at the Université de Caen, Basse-Normandie that specializes in French language instruction. All classes at the DFL are taught in French. Level of French study is based on a placement exam administered before classes begin by the DFL.
- A semester or year-long study abroad program in Paris,Strasbourg,France, or in Brussels, Belgium with IFE. This program allows students to participate in an Independent Field Study and Internship abroad.
- BCA Marburg, Germany (which includes 8 weeks in Vienna, Austria at the start of the program)
- ISEP Marburg, Germany (This program is just in Germany. Student can choose to complete the one program with some course options in English or complete the Intensive German Studies program)
- A semester or year-long study abroad program in Nihon University in Tokyo.
- A semester or year-long study abroad program in Osaka, Japan with Kansai Gadai University.This program offers a wide variety of Asian Studies courses. Internship opportunities are also available. Students must have a 3.0 GPA and be nominated in order to participate in this program.
- A semester or year-long study abroad program in Tokyo, Japan with KCP International Japanese Language School. This program allows students to visit Japan and learn Japanese along-side their peers in the heart of Tokyo.
Spanish & Spanish Education
- A semester or year-long study abroad program in Barcelona, Spain at the University of Barcelona. This study abroad program offers classes in Spanish, English, and Catalan. Students are provided numerous volunteer opportunities, including chances to work with children, immigrants, and teaching. In addition to the Barcelona program, we have Arcos Learning Abroad’s Granada, Spain program on our affiliated list. We also added IFE’s new internship programs in Andalucía and Asturias, which can offer student teaching opportunities for our Spanish Education students.
Arcos Learning Abroad Oaxaca, Mexico program.Learn Spanish in the fascinating colonial city of Oaxaca, Mexico. Experience the colonial charms of this highland city surrounded by lush mountains and indigenous villages. Oaxaca is one of the most unique cities in Mexico. It is an ideal location for language immersion and exploring the pre-Hispanic past of the area.
- A semester or year-long study abroad program in Valladolid, Spain at the Universitas Castallae. This university, found in the heart of the former capital city of Spain, is filled to the brim with culture and history. There are internship and volunteer opportunities everywhere in Valladolid.
- A semester, year-long study, or summer abroad program in Buenos Aires, Argentina, at the University of Belgrano. With plenty of culture and state-of-the-art facilities, students have the opportunity to learn about the unique Buenos Aires heritage and culture from the natives.
- In addition to these option students can also study abroad in Costa Rica and Peru.