Apply To Study Abroad
Start making tangible study abroad plans and prepare to watch as your travel dreams become a reality. The Study Abroad Office is happy to help guide you through the application process and answer questions as you go.
In order to be eligible to study abroad, you must:
- Maintain a GPA of 2.6 or higher - some programs have higher GPA requirements
- Receive approval from the Vice President of Student Life
- Semester Study Abroad Students:
- Must be a second semester sophomore, junior or first semester senior. Some exceptions can be made for first semester sophomores and second semester seniors. Email email@example.com to inquiry about exceptions.
- Summer Study Abroad Students:
- Students can enroll in summer study abroad program, as early as the summer between their first and sophomore year.
Fall, Year and Winter Programs: March 15
Spring and Summer Programs: October 15
The Study Abroad Office accepts applications on a rolling basis, so it's never too early to start and submit your application. Students will need to apply to Elizabethtown College and their intended study abroad program. You should be mindful of your programs deadlines, as some are earlier than E-town's deadlines. For example, BCA Study Abroad's Spain and Trinidad & Tobago programs have a October 1 fall/year deadline.
Study Abroad Preparation
You should begin planning your study abroad experience one year before your intended program begins. To start the planning process you’ll need to:
- Attend information sessions to learn more about study abroad and your programs of interest
- Discuss your academic scheduling options with your academic advisor
- Research study abroad programs and choose a location
- Meet with peer advisors who have studied abroad
- Decide which year, semester, summer or break makes the most sense for you to travel abroad
- Meet with E-town’s Study Abroad Advisor
After you have finished initial planning and research, you can begin the application process. Each program may have parts of the application due on different deadlines. Be sure to read the program information carefully so you do not miss out on important application details.
Register For An Online Account
Creating an online account allows you to access all study abroad related information and continue through the application process.
Search For A Program
Through your online account, you can easily search for study abroad programs by country or by major.
Receive Approval From Study Abroad Office
After you find a program of interest, you must follow E-town’s application and approval process. This can be done through your online account and by completing the necessary forms.
Complete Enrollment Forms
After you’ve been accepted, there are a few forms that must be completed in order for you to enroll in a program. These forms include transcript requests, a study abroad agreement, a course approval form and health forms.
Apply To A Program
You can begin the application process for the program you’ve selected as you continue to work on our enrollment forms.
These steps should be completed during the last few months leading up to your study abroad experience.
Apply For A Passport
Passport applications can be downloaded from the Department of State website. The applications can be mailed or taken to the Elizabethtown Public Library to be processed. This process can take six to eight weeks, but during hig-volume times it can take even longer. We recommend applying for a passport no less than six months before your intended departure. If you have a current passport, it cannot expire within six months of your return. If you need a visa to attend your program, you’ll need to have your passport in hand before you can start your visa application. It’s important to be proactive!
Attend Pre-Departure Meetings
These meetings are mandatory. You will receive a variety of information including:
- Pre-departure packets with important information about preparing to go abroad
- Information about billing and financial aid
- Etown housing information for when you return
- Forms for forwarding your mail, registering for your Etown classes, etc.
- Information about health insurance, health issues and safety concerns while overseas
- Complete the International SOS card agreement, when applicable
Upload Acceptance Letter
After being accepted into a study abroad program, your acceptance letter must be uploaded into the “Enrollment Forms” section of your online account.
Return Course Approval Form
Course approval forms must be returned to the Study Abroad Office by November 15, if you’re studying abroad in the spring and by April 15, if you’re studying abroad in the summer or fall. The forms must be signed by you, your academic advisor and the Study Abroad advisor.
Complete Program Forms
Your study abroad program will require you to complete and return forms to them as well. These forms may include:
- Course request form
- Flight itineraries
- Housing form
- Medical form
- Registration with your school abroad
- Visa updates (very important – time sensitive!)