Housing Status Changes and Contract Release Information
"I would like to commute." | Becoming a Commuter Student
Elizabethtown College defines a commuter as a student who lives at their permanent residence with family members within a 30-mile/minute radius of the College. We encourage students to discuss this option with their families as soon as possible. There may be implications to your financial aid package by changing your housing status from residential to commuter. If you are seeking to be released from your housing contract, that is you have a need to live off-campus and not at your permanent address with family, please see Housing Contract Release information below.
To change your housing status to commuter, please go to JayWeb to complete the housing status change form.
"I commute and would like to live on-campus." | Becoming a Residential Student
Students who are currently commuting and would like to change their housing status to residential are welcome to do so. There may be implications to your financial aid package by changing your housing status from commuter to residential. Please connect with a Financial Aid Counselor before making this request. Then contact Community Living for an appointment to change your housing status. This request can be made at any time.
"I would like to live off-campus on my own." | Requesting a Contract Release without Buy Out
Etown is a residential college, which means students are required to live on campus for four years or eight semesters. Students wishing to live off campus may do so and are beholden to their housing contract payments. This means that to live off campus you are also required to pay the double room rate each semester that remains in your required eight semester contract. There are exceptions to this:
Students with significant health or financial changes can apply to be released from the breakage fee. Please note that applying does not guarantee you will be released from the fee. Students should take the following steps to request being released without the buy out:
Contact Financial Aid to determine whether any changes to your financial situation will adjust your financial aid package.
- This may require completing a Professional Judgment (PJ) Form .
- If your situation has changed significantly Financial Aid will notify us and you would then be invited to apply for Contract Release f or the following academic year . The timeline for this process is outlined below.
- If you have a new medical diagnosis we ask that you connect with
to learn about housing accommodations.
- If you have a reasonable accommodation that permits you to live off-campus, Disability Services will notify us and we will work with you on next steps.
2021-2022 Contract Release Timeline
- November 19, 2021 – Contract release forms are available on the Community Living webpage.
- February 14, 2022 – Completed Off-Campus and Commuter applications are due via email to firstname.lastname@example.org .
- February 21, 2022 – Notice of off-campus and commuter decisions sent to applicants via email.
- Good Neighbor Seminar Dates TBD