Pet-Friendly Housing


PF Housing

Photo Credit: Nathan Merkel, The Sun

The pet-friendly housing program began in Fall 2018 after requests from students who wished to bring their animal companion with them to campus.  Royer 1st floor has been designated as "Pet-Friendly Housing"  and this area has quickly become a friendly environment for pets, their owners, and pet lovers!

Elizabethtown College strives to provide a safe environment for members of the College community, and to protect, maintain, and regulate the pet ownership privilege enjoyed by student community members. The Elizabethtown College Pet Friendly Housing Policy allows resident students the privilege of bringing a pet to live on campus in designated pet-friendly housing while the student is enrolled in classes. In bringing a pet to campus, the student has indicated an understanding of the policy and has agreed to the conditions outlined within it. Every student pet owner is encouraged to consider carefully the advantages and disadvantages of the campus environment for his/her/their individual pet.

The following three documents are required when you register a pet on the pet-friendly floor:                                                                                                                                            

  • The  Elizabethtown College Pet Housing Agreement  contains the guidelines for everything that you will need to know about bringing your pet to campus including permitted pets, the registration process, expectations, and owner responsibility. It is important that you read over all of this information and understand your role as a responsible pet owner. This information and more will be outlined in detail at the Pet-Friendly Community Orientation which will take place within the first two weeks of fall semester. 
  • The  Elizabethtown College Pet Registration  form will provide contact information for you as the pet owner, emergency contact information, pet information, and veterinary information.
  • The final document is the  Elizabethtown College Pet-Friendly Veterinary Evaluation  form.  This form must be completed by your veterinarian and returned with all other documents. 

All documents are required to complete the registration process and will be kept on file in the Office of Residence Life. All documents are listed in the Pet Policy, so please be sure to familiarize yourself with them.


Frequently Asked Questions


What kind of animal am I allowed to bring to the pet-friendly floor?

  • A small dog, cat, or small caged animal is permitted.

What is considered a small caged animal?

  • A hamster, gerbil, Guinea pig, or rabbit are approved small caged animals.

Is there a weight limit for a dog or cat to live on campus?

  • The maximum weight for a dog or cat on campus is 25 lbs when fully grown.

When do I have to register my pet?

  • Animals are registered twice a year; once in August/September and then again in January.  If registration is missed, the pet will not be permitted until the next registration cycle.

How much does it cost to register a pet?

  • Yes, there is a registration fee of $25.00 for all small caged animals and $50.00 for cats and small dogs.

What documents do I need from a vet before I can bring my cat or dog?

  • A completed Veterinary Evaluation Form for cats and dogs, a current record of vaccinations, a certificate of spay/neuter, and a certificate of flea treatment

May I bring an animal as a freshman/transfer student to campus?

  • Yes, any student may bring a pet as long as they are living on the pet-friendly floor.

Does my cat or dog have to be spayed or neutered?

  • Yes.

Are there any dog breeds not allowed on campus?

  • The following breeds or mix of breeds are not allowed on campus: Akita, American Pit Bull/Staffordshire Terrier, Alaskan Husky/Alaskan Malamute, Bullmastiff, Chow, Doberman Pinscher, German Shepherd, Great Dane, Huskies (all breeds), Presa Canario (Canary Dog), Rottweiler, St. Bernard, Wolf Hybrid.

How many pets may I have on campus?

  • Only one pet is permitted per student unless prior approval is given by the Director of Residence Life or designee.

 Who should I contact if I have questions regarding the College pet policy?